We're very excited to start posting a few sneak peeks at our new FR-S / BRZ Turbo Kit. This is PART 1 of the release of this kit. Click here to read the basics and get some sneak peek looks at our design.
It all starts with turbo selection:
It was our goal to find a turbocharger that would provide the most usable power band and torque possible with this Boxer 2.0L. We were on the hunt for a turbo that would be responsive, offer superior transient response and still be able to produce horsepower on pump gas. We decided on a GTX Turbocharger from Garrett and have opted for Tial's V-Band turbine housing. We'll have more details on the exact turbocharger and specs in Part II.
Turbo Kit layout and space optimization:
We wanted to make this a kit that would make daily driving a blast. The whole kit was designed around the idea of maximizing torque and response. Routing got a bit tricky as we went and found that the chassis didn't want to play along with some of our ideas but we were able to squeeze in all of the components without any conflicts or unwanted points of contact. It is a tight squeeze but the design provides for better cooling and ideal performance.
Building the Manifold, Down Pipe and Dump Tube:
There are a few obstacles with building the FR-S/BRZ Turbo Kit. With attention focused on potential hot spots, points of contact and more, we had to make sure to clear the oil pan, not be too close to the crank pulley or any other heat sensitive spots on the motor. Our AMERICAN STAINLESS STEEL tubing is paired with our 1/2" flanges to offer superior quality and kit durability. We were able to construct a true 3" V Band down pipe to optimize flow at the turbine and with this build, we recirculated the wastegate dump tube. Product kits will be available with the option to dump or recirculate.
The Intercooler and Charge Piping:
Our team worked together to optimize the charge system. We wanted to keep it as short as possible and use lite weight aluminum. We were able to achieve what we feel is the shortest path possible and kept it very lite. The final weight numbers of the kit will be in PART 2. We converted the MAF to a blow through style to optimize the MAF's ability to meter the charged air.
Current Status of the Build:
We've got hardware, piping and all in place. We're wrapping up a few loose ends and finishing up on the oiling system. We've very close to firing her up and getting going on kit #2! We're very happy with how the kit is looking so far and cannot thank the customer, James Martin enough for allowing us the opportunity to build such a great project together.
Be sure to keep up with the build on our Facebook Page.